If you would like further information on becoming an expert and meet the requirements listed, please contact us using the form below. For more information on why you should join our team at Somek & Associates click here.
Become a Somek Expert Witness
Required Skills & Abilities
- Requisite expertise in clinical assessment / skills with at least 8 years post-qualification experience for quantum (e.g. occupational therapists, physiotherapists, Speech and Language Therapists, prosthetists and orthotists, and dieticians) and 10 years minimum for liability (e.g. nurses and midwives).
- Work at a senior level and with evidence of a degree / higher qualification (for liability: at least 5 years at band 6 or above and evidence of study at level 6, degree level).
- In current clinical practice and registered with your professional body I.e. the HCPC or NMC, with the intention to remain registered with your professional body and up to date in respect of clinical expertise for the duration of all cases upon which instructed.
- Demonstrate experience of working in the UK for at least 5 years.
- No pending or active investigations, i.e. HCPC/NMC or internal Trust investigations, involving you.
- Experience of recommending care packages [OTs only].
- Professional presentation always as representing Somek & Associates, your profession, and yourself.
- Excellent verbal communication skills (you will be meeting with a wide range of Claimants, solicitors, barristers, other experts, and may even be required to speak in court).
- Excellent written communication skills (including a good command of the English language, as well as relevant clinical terminology and report writing skills).
- Analytical skills (an ability to construct logical, well-structured arguments, attention to detail, and an ability to analyse medico-legal documentation and evidence to support clinical reasoning).
- Thorough understanding of the relevant legal principles and legal process.
- Numeracy (costing recommendations will be required, and although these are not audited it is essential that experts have a good grasp of the figures).
- Reliability – strict time frames are given by the court and must be adhered to. It is also essential that you are able to communicate with us effectively and quickly by email and / or phone.
- Commitment to continued professional development and willingness to attend all relevant training courses, either independently or via Somek and Associates, as well as the ability to direct own learning.
- Appropriate computer skills in terms of report writing (Somek & Associates staff will assist with presentation), as well as your own PC, Microsoft Word, and broadband connection.
- Dedicated workspace whether at home or in an office, which ensures confidential data storage.
- Commitment to data protection.
- You need to be sure to have the necessary time to complete the work efficiently and to a high standard; you will therefore generally need to be available for at least 8 hours per week.
- To be prepared to travel throughout the UK, staying overnight on occasion.
- Current car driver’s licence or a willingness to work with capped travel in situations when the expert wishes to travel using a method that is not the most cost effective for the instructing client.
- To be able to undertake occasional work at short notice.
- To recommend Somek and Associates to colleagues.
- Previous medico-legal experience and training desirable, but not essential.