MSc Occupational Therapy, BSc Occupational Therapy
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Brain injury
- CVA and cognitive perceptual deficits
I qualified as an Occupational Therapist in 1990 from Christchurch College, Canterbury and have spent the majority of my career specialising in neurological rehabilitation. Since 1996, I have worked primarily with clients with neurological impairment as a result of cerebrovascular Accident (CVA), Traumatic brain injury and Cerebral Palsy since 1996. Prior to this I worked in many different settings, overseas and in the UK, both in hospital and the community covering spinal injuries, amputees, orthopaedics, psychiatry and general medical conditions.
I am competent at assessing a client in relation to their physical, cognitive and psycho-social functioning and use a variety of treatment techniques including fatigue management, anxiety management, teaching strategies to minimise effects of cognitive dysfunction and postural management. I am particularly interested in vocational assessment and in helping clients return to work.
In 2002, I completed an MSc in Occupational Therapy which helped me to develop my problem solving and critical thinking skills. My research focused on the quality of life of stroke patients post discharge and their expectations of life after a stroke.
I am currently working as an Independent Occupational Therapist in the following areas:
• Provision of therapeutic interventions to clients in the community with complex physical and cognitive disabilities.
• Case Manager with West Country Case Management since 2007, working with clients with brain injury as an advocate to improve independence and quality of life, setting up and managing private and agency care packages, chairing MDT meetings and advising on suitable property and equipment.
• Carrying out vocational assessments for clients in work who have suffered an injury.
I accept instructions from both Claimant and Defendant Solicitors and Insurers. I have undergone formal training in the medico-legal process and am fully aware of my responsibilities under the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR) pertaining to expert witnesses.