- Physical Disability
- Long Term Conditions
- Equipment and Adaptations
- Manual Handling
Since qualifying as an Occupational Therapist in 1991, I have gained a wide range of clinical and management expertise working with children, adolescents, adults and older people.
Currently, I am the Managing Director of ARMS Rehab Limited, a company specialising in rehabilitation, health and disability training. As part of this role I provide rehabilitation and management of people with complex and challenging behaviour, which includes people with ABI, dementia, ADHD, autism and other conditions. I also work with people who have complex neurological conditions including ABI, CVA, cerebral palsy and various degenerative conditions. I provide advice and compile
recommendations for building adaptations (commercial and private) for people with long term disabilities.
Within my role I also provide the following services:
• Vocational rehabilitation.
• Posture and positioning advice (including sourcing appropriate equipment) for sleeping, static seating and wheelchairs, which also includes advice on the selection of wheelchairs (i.e. powered or non powered, indoor or outdoor use, tilt in space or fixed seating, standing wheelchairs, various pressure reducing systems including gel cushions, air flow cushions and moulded and matrix seating systems).
• Manual handling advice, assessments and training, including emergency evacuation strategies.
• Advice and assessment for adapted vehicles.
• Input regarding environmental control systems and AAC (Assistive and augmentative communication) equipment and techniques.
• SOVA investigations, including emergency interim appointment as a manager of a care home under investigation.
I also currently work as a locum Paediatric Occupational Therapist for Derbyshire County Council via RIG Healthcare, working county wide to promote the independence and safety of children with disabilities. I assess for and provide assistive equipment, adaptations and assistive technology; and refer to other agencies as appropriate.
Prior to my current roles I have held a variety of positions within the NHS, Social Services and the independent sector. I have held management positions including management of a residential facility for adults with acquired brain injury and the post of Senior Risk Assessor with a social services department.
I accept instructions from both claimant and defendant solicitors and insurers. I have undergone formal training in the medico-legal process and am fully aware of my responsibilities under Civil Procedure Rules (CPR) pertaining to expert witnesses.