We can now confirm an exciting addition to the exhibition and conference programme for the Somek...
- To speak to one of the team, an expert, or for more information please contact us
Contact our office
Make an enquiry
I qualified as a Speech and Language Therapy clinician in 1997 and now have over 17 years clinical experience working in a range of clinical settings, including acute hospitals, rehabilitation stroke units, out-patient clinics, nursing homes, community based care, head injury assessment for ACC in New Zealand and Intermediate Care (Rapid Access Rehabilitation Services). I have extended knowledge of services to the community and intermediate care with a client centred approach to clinical, strategic and organisational management.
I am currently employed by the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital Trust where I am based on the acute medical wards. I also offer additional cover to the rehabilitation and Stroke wards. My key responsibilities are to provide:
• Highly specialist clinical knowledge in the area of acquired communication difficulties in adults.
• Highly complex dysphagia and communication assessment to clients with a range of acquired neurological conditions as well as the exacerbation of swallowing and communication difficulties after deterioration in long-term conditions.
• Short-term and long-term planning for assessment, rehabilitation and on-going support for clients with complex communication and dysphagia needs.
• Complex support and liaison for clients and family members in relation to communication change and psychological issues associated with long-term changes as a result of communication and dysphagia.
• Extensive knowledge of the wider implications of communication difficulties.
Prior to this I was employed by Halton and St Helens PCT as a Joint manager for Adult Speech and Language Therapy (SLT) team. My key responsibilities and skills included:
• Managing and leading the adult SLT team, co-ordinating the general and highly specialised caseload for speech and language therapy services to adults, in a variety of acute, community and other settings
• Experience of working within different organisations
• Providing senior SLT professional and organisational advice to the acute NCHT and Halton and St Helens PCT in relation to service planning, organisational management, service development and strategic processes in respect of professional and clinical SLT issues
• Highly specialist clinical knowledge in the area of acquired communication difficulties in adults and those with associated dysphagia
• Developing, delivering and evaluating training and presentations, both formal and informal, to others in area of clinical expertise and / or management issues
• Supporting others through clinical supervision, mentoring and PDR
In addition, I also undertake medico-legal work through Somek and Associates. I accept instructions from both Claimant and Defendant Solicitors and Insurers. I have undergone formal training in the medico-legal process and am fully aware of my responsibilities under the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR) pertaining to Expert Witnesses.
2000 Post graduate dysphagia course, Manchester Metropolitan University
1997 BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy, University Wales Institute Cardiff