Congratulations to Dr Caz Lyall (Care & Occupational Therapy expert) for her...
- To speak to one of the team, an expert, or for more information please contact us
Contact our office
Make an enquiry
MSc, BSc Physiotherapy
I qualified as a Chartered Physiotherapist in 1992, and have specialised in the field of neurosciences since 1996. In April 2012 I transferred my position to work within the Major Trauma Service.
Working within the Major Trauma Service I lead the physiotherapy management of any patient admitted following Major Trauma leading to multiple, and / or severe and often complex injury including: head injury / acquired brain injury secondary to hypoxia, spinal cord injury, vascular / orthopaedic injury including amputation, chest injury, orthopaedic injury including salvage surgery and complex pelvic surgery, and injury requiring plastic surgery.
I remain heavily involved in the assessment and physiotherapeutic management of patients in all neuroscience areas (neurosurgery, neuromedical and stroke wards) on both an in and out-patient basis. I provide advice and work alongside physiotherapy staff in other areas including critical care, orthopaedics, general medicine and elderly care. I supervise both qualified physiotherapists and students and I work closely with other members of the multi disciplinary team.
I am currently employed by Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust as a Clinical Specialist Physiotherapist working full time within the Major Trauma Service where I am based at The Royal Sussex County Hospital. This role involves the following responsibilities:
• Managing a clinical caseload across the critical care, general surgical, orthopaedic, stroke services and medical In-patient areas within Royal Sussex County Hospital, Hurstwood Park Neurological Centre (neuroscience's critical care area, neurosurgery ward and neuromedical and ward), and within ICU and the Stroke Unit at The Princess Royal Hospital in Hayward's Heath
• Provision of a peer support to the neurological outpatient physiotherapy service for patients requiring specialist review, based at the Hurstwood Park Neurological Centre Service
• Management of the Major Trauma Physiotherapy Team
• Provision of leadership, clinical support and supervision to members of the Major Trauma Physiotherapy Team, Neuroscience's Physiotherapy Team and student physiotherapists working across BSUH NHS Trust.
• Peer support and supervision to all members of the physiotherapy staff across the Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust
Additionally, between 1998 - 2009 I developed my private practice in neurological physiotherapy.
I joined Somek and Associates in 2008 since when I have written many medico-legal reports following instructions from both Claimant and Defendant Solicitors and Insurers. I have undergone formal training in the medico-legal process and am fully aware of my responsibilities under the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR) pertaining to Expert Witnesses.
2007 MSc Neurological Physiotherapy, Sheffield Hallam University
1992 BSc Hons. Physiotherapy, Manchester University